I love breaded zucchini! I can actually remember my very first time eating the appetizer. It was many, (many) years ago, at the steak restaurant where I waitressed. One day during a break, my friend Donna and I shared an order from the menu. I had served it many times to customers, but that day was the first time I ate it. I was hooked!
My eating habits have changed quite a bit since then. I rarely eat fried foods, I definitely eat more than breaded veggies as a meal, and I’m much more mindful of how foods are prepared. What hasn’t changed is my love for breaded zucchini. Crunchy, breaded zucchini. Crunchy, baked breaded zucchini to be exact.
My interns and I shared this recipe on my You Tube channel years ago, when we made our farm-to-table vegetable series. Today, I am sharing the recipe on my blog. It’s a perfect alternative to the fried varieties found on many restaurant menus. Make it as an appetizer for your next gathering or serve it as a side-dish with your favorite protein.
If you try this recipe, let us know what you think. Leave a comment below, or share a picture of your finished product on social media, tagged #HeatherMangieri
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg white
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ tsp basil, dried, ground
- ¼ tsp black pepper, ground
- ½ cup bread crumbs, Italian seasoned or plain
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F
- Generously spray a large sheet pan (one large or two smaller pans) with cooking spray
- Clean zucchini. Cut off both ends and discard. Cut each zucchini in half. Using a sharp knife or mandolin, slice the zucchini length wise, about ½” thick. You should get ~5 slices per zucchini per half, yielding ~20 slices of zucchini.) *Depending on the size of the zucchini and how thick you made each slice, you may end up with extra pieces; save the extras for another recipe
- Beat egg, egg white, black pepper and basil together in a shallow bowl.
- Combine bread crumbs with Parmesan Cheese in a bowl and mix well. Transfer to a plate.
- Dip a piece of zucchini in the egg then coat in the bread crumbs. Transfer breaded zucchini onto the baking sheet in a single layer; repeat with all remaining slices.
- Drizzle the olive oil evenly over the zucchini
- Bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven and flip zucchini. Bake another 5-7 minutes until zucchini is crunchy and golden brown.
- Garnish with parsley and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately with warm marinara sauce and a lemon wedge
Recipe makes: 4 Servings Serving size: 5 pieces
Nutrition Facts per serving (5 pieces): 140 calories, 14 grams’ carbohydrate, 1 gram fiber, 7 grams’ protein, t grams’ total fat, 1.5 grams’ saturated fat, 340 mg sodium, 8% daily calcium, 6% daily iron, 6% daily potassium
Nutrition CheckUp Meal Planning Servings: 1CHO; 1 PRO; 1.5 FAT