If you open my refrigerator on any given day, you’ll find a bulk-sized bag of 6” inch flour tortilla. They make it so simple to put together a quick meal, from a morning breakfast burrito to a well-planned fajita dinner, or even a cold wrap sandwich that can be eaten on the go. Quesadillas are popular in my house too; and of course, tacos.
A few months ago, I posted a photo of these jerk chicken tacos from a dinner I prepared. I received loads of requests for the recipe, but, because it involves multiple steps, I never shared it. At last, I finally completed the nutrition analysis and am sharing the recipe. I make my own jerk seasoning blend, which I intend to post eventually. For now, I share how to prepare the jerk chicken, the citrus salsa and the spicy cream sauce. The combination of these flavors is amazing. I hope you love it as much as my family does.
If you try this recipe, let me know what you think. Leave a comment below, or share a picture with me! Make sure to tag #HeatherMangieri on IG so that I can find it.
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup Lime Juice
- 2 Tbsp. Jerk Seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup Pineapple
- 1 medium orange, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (optional)
- ¼ cup cilantro, diced
Spicy Cream Sauce:
- ½ cup fat free sour cream
- ¼ cup nonfat Greek yogurt, plain
- 1 tbsp. habanero sauce (add more as desired)
- 12 flour or corn tortillas, small
- Jerk Chicken– Cut chicken breasts into bite size pieces. In a medium bowl, combine diced chicken, lemon juice, 1 tbsp. oil and jerk seasoning, making sure the chicken is evenly coated. Let marinate for 5-10 minutes.
- Make the Salsa– While the chicken is marinating, make the salsa. Dice the pineapple, orange, tomato, red onion and jalapeno pepper then put in a bowl. Add the chopped cilantro and salt. Stir well. Set aside.
- Make the Spicy Cream Sauce– Combine the sour cream, Greek yogurt and the habanero sauce. Stir well. Set aside.
- Add the rest of the oil to a skillet and warm over medium-high heat. Add the seasoned chicken to the oil and cook until done (internal temperature should reach 165 degrees), ~ 5-7 minutes.
- Spoon chicken onto warm taco shells, top with salsa and a spoonful of creamy sauce. Garnish with cilantro.
Recipe Makes: 6 Servings Serving Size: 2 Tacos
Nutrition Facts (per serving): 400 Calories, 43 Carbohydrates, 2 Fiber, 32 g Protein, 12 g Total Fat, 2.5 g Saturated Fat, 550 mg Sodium, 6% daily iron, 71 mg daily calcium, 581 mg daily potassium
Nutrition CheckUp Meal Planning Serving: = 3 CHO; 4 PRO; 2.5 FAT