Looking for something different for dinner tonight? These seared scallops with beans and spinach have a kick the entire family will love!
Scallops are a great lean protein option to add to your meal rotation but they do contain a significantly high amount of sodium. One-pound, or 16 ounces of raw scallops, contains ~almost 1800 mg of sodium. That means a 4-ounce portion makes up 20% of the recommended sodium needs for the day, and that doesn’t include the preparation method. That’s why it’s important to prepare your scallops without high-sodium sauces or marinades and add flavor with fresh ingredients.
The recipe below combines seared scallops, beans and spinach with a variety of other ingredients to boost the flavor and phytonutrients. Be aware, this recipe is not a low sodium dish; you can reduce the amount by using low-sodium broth and using dried beans in place of canned.
Enjoy this delicious balance of carbohydrates, protein, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients all wrapped into one meal!
- 1 pound sea scallops, raw
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 1 10 oz. bag of fresh spinach
- 1 tbsp. fresh chopped basil
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat
- Add scallops to pan and cook 2 minutes on each side or until cooked all the way through
- Remove scallops from pan; keep warm
- Add chopped onion, red pepper and garlic to pan and sauté for approximately 2 minutes, stirring constantly
- Stir in broth and beans; cook for two minutes (if you are watching your sodium intake, consider preparing dried beans in advance rather than using canned beans)
- Stir in spinach and cook for approximately 1 minute or until spinach wilts
- Remove from heat and stir in basil
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese
Makes 4 servings; Nutrition Facts per serving= 260 calories, 26 grams’ carbohydrates, 23 grams’ protein, 6 grams’ fat, 30 mg cholesterol, 7 grams’ fiber, 1,030 mg sodium, 150 mg calcium, 700 mg potassium, 4 mg iron.
Nutrition CheckUp Servings: 2 CHO; 3 PRO; 1 FAT