Zucchini has made its way to the front of my local grocery store, and that triggered a memory of an old-time favorite- zucchini pizza boats. When my kids were younger, we made these often as a snack or mini-meal. I would let them pick their own pizza toppings, assemble their own pizza boat, and then we would eat this nourishing snack together.
Last week, this meal made its way back on our meal rotation. I forgot how much I love this version of pizza. If you’re looking for a great way to increase your vegetable intake, or you just find yourself with extra zucchini, give it a try. Add any vegetables that you like, and top with lean beef, chicken, shrimp or turkey sausage to boost the protein content. It’s delicious and nutritious!
- 1 Medium- large Zucchini
- 2 ounces Mozzarella cheese, part-skim
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce
- 12 cherry tomatoes cut in half
- ¼ bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup spinach
- 1 tsp parsley, dried
- Cover the bottom of each zucchini piece with sauce, then layer with spinach. Sprinkle cheese over the spinach. Top with green peppers, cherry tomatoes and sprinkle with parsley
- Wash all produce and set aside. Cut the zucchini in half-length wise, then in half, resulting in 4 zucchini boats. Using a spoon, scoop the seeds out, making sure not to remove too much of the vegetable.
- Place in the toaster oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Make 2 servings (2 pizza boats)
Nutrition Facts per serving: 140 calories, 12 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams fiber, 9 grams protein, 6 grams fat, 330 mg sodium, 20% calcium, 15% potassium, 6% iron
Nutrition CheckUp Serving Size Information- 1 CHO, 1 PRO, 1 FAT